Fun is back: Utah Lake festival returns this year on June 2
The Utah Lake Commission is excited to announced the return of the Utah Lake festival. This year the festival will be held on Saturday, June 2, from 10 am to 2 pm, at Utah Lake State Park.
Free activities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Free food: hot dogs and popcorn (food also available to purchase)
- Live music by Sarah Sample
- Kids crafts, our popular “fish hats,” storytelling, balloon artist and games
- Free fishing day with free fishing poles and bait available to use at the Festival that day (no state fishing license required)
- Fishing instructions with local experts and a fishing simulator
- Boat rides sponsored by Cross Marine Projects
- Boat making demonstration
- Sailboat regatta
- Hay rides
- Free t-shirts for those who complete activity booths
- Water equipment rentals (kayaks, jet skis, paddle boats, etc.)
Says program director Reed Harris, “The Festival is an excellent opportunity for residents to come out and enjoy the lake with an extraordinary view and learn why it’s worth caring about.”
Historically, Utah Lake was used recreationally much more than it is today. More than 20 resorts once dotted the shoreline. Showboats, with live music and dancing, took people out for excursions to Bird Island, airplanes landed on sandy beaches to offer people rides, and for decades boat races were held as a Memorial Day mainstay in the Provo Harbor.
The Festival, along with efforts by the Utah Lake Commission, June Sucker Recovery Program, and UtahLake.gov, is an attempt to highlight the conveniently located and beautiful lake to those who may have taken it for granted. So come join us on June 2!
For more information about the Utah Lake Festival, Utah Lake or the JSRIP contact Cindy Gubler at 801.364.0088 x 107, or visit www.junesuckerrecovery.org or www.utahlake.gov.